"Sound the Shofar in Zion and sound the alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the Land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh, it is nigh at hand" (Joel 2:1)
A. In Genesis 29, Leah has seven children. This is prophetic of 7,000 years of time.
1. First son is Reuben (Genesis 29:32)
2. Second son is Simeon (Genesis 29:33)
3. Third son is Levi (Genesis 29:34). Levi = Strong's Hebrew word #3878. #3878 is from #3867 in Hebrew = lavah = "to join."
---> This is prophetic of the tribe of Levi for their function was "to join" the people to God (Numbers 1:47-54, 3:5-9).
The Levites were to bring the people near (#7126) to God (Numbers 3:6).
God instructed Moses to have the priests come near to God (Exodus 19:22).
---> Let's look at the prophetic connection between Reuben, Simeon, and Levi. God wanted to make Israel a kingdom of priests (Exodus 19:4-6).
Exodus 19:4 ... You have seen (Hebrew #7200) what I did to Egyptians
Exodus 19:5 ... Now if you will obey (#8085)
Exodus 19:6 ... I will make you a kingdom of priests
Let's see what happened: (Exodus 20:18-21)
Exodus 20:18 ... All the people saw (Hebrew #7200)
Exodus 20:19 ... Speak to us and we will hear (Hebrew #8085)
Exodus 20:21 ... The people stood a far off
---> God desires that we draw near to him (James 4:8)
We are brought near by the blood of Christ (Ephesians 2:13,17)
We draw near to God not by the law (Hebrews 7:19)
The WORD OF GOD is near thee, even in your mouth (Romans 10:8-10)
We are to draw near with a TRUE heart (Hebrews 10:19-22)
---> The believers are priests to God (I Peter 2:9, Revelation 1:5-6, 5:9-10, 20:6, Isaiah 61:1-3,6).
4. Fourth son is Judah (Genesis 29:35). Judah = Strong's Hebrew word #3063. Judah means "to praise."
---> Judah is the 4th son and Yeshua/Jesus will come 4,000 years after creation. Yeshua is from the tribe of Judah (Revelation 5:5, Hebrews 7:14).
Psalm 150 is a psalm of praise to God.
===> After four children, Leah's womb stops (Genesis 29:35). Israel will not receive Yeshua/Jesus (have spiritual children - John 1:12) for 2,000 years after Yeshua's/Jesus'first coming.
5. Fifth son is Issachar (Genesis 30:18). Issachar = Strong's Hebrew word #3485. #3485 is from #7939, which means "hire or wages." Issachar means "My hiring or my wages."
---> This is prophetic of the Jewish people since their exile from the land of Israel about 2,000 years ago. They traveled from country to country and were hired or paid by people from foreign countries.
6. Sixth son is Zebulun (Genesis 30:19-20). Zebulun = Strong's Hebrew word #2074. #2074 is from #2082, which means "to dwell." Zebulun means "dwelling."
---> This is prophetic that after 6,000 years, the believers will dwell with God.
(Revelation 21:1-3, 7:13-15, Exodus 25:8-9, 29:43,45).
7. Seventh is a daughter named Dinah (Genesis 30:21). Dinah = Strong's Hebrew word #1783. #1783 is from #1779 in Hebrew = din = "to judge."
---> Dinah who is a daughter is a picture of the believers (the bride of Christ) who will
reign with God and be judge over all the earth (Revelation 20:4, II Timothy 4:1, I Corinthians 6:2-3).
===> Redemption is available by faith (Emunah) to all people who live during the 7,000 years who put their faith, trust, and confidence in God, His Word, and His promises.
The major promise is that God would redeem both man and the earth back to God in response to the fall of man in Garden of Eden (Gan Eden). The Messiah (Yeshua/Jesus) was the central figure in accomplishing this redemption.
(Romans 4:1-3 = Genesis 15:6), (Romans 4:13,16,22-24), (Galations 3:6-9,14,16,29) (Hebrews 11:4,5,7,8,11,20,22,23,29,30,31,32,33), (Isaiah 4:1)
===> Salvation is given to us by God by grace (unmerited favor) through faith by personally accepting into our lives the redemptive work of Yeshua/Jesus as payment for our sins and not by trusting in our own works (being a good person) (Romans 4:16,22-24, Ephesians 2:8-9).
===> If we put our trust in ourselves (being a good person) rather than putting our trust in Yeshua/Jesus to save us, the Bible tells us that we are judged under the law. According to the judgment under the law, if you commit just one sin, you are guilty before God of violating the entire law (James 2:10, Romans 3:9-12, 19-20, Galations 3:12).
===> The Torah/law was given:
a. Because of sin and entrusted in the hands of a mediator (Galations 3:19)
----> Yeshua/Jesus is the mediator between God and man (Hebrews 9:13-15, 12:24)
b. To show that we cannot keep the law and therefore are guilty before God (Romans 3:20)
c. To be our schoolmaster (teacher/guide to instruction and understanding) to point us to Yeshua/Jesus (Galations 3:24, Romans 10:4)
===> We are righteous (being in right standing) before God by faith by trusting in the redemption work of the Messiah (Yeshua/Jesus) Romans 3:21-24, 4:4-5).
===> Faith requires works. Here, works means acting upon faith (what God has said or
promised) not trusting upon our own good deeds for righteousness. Works means acting upon what God has said and demonstrating, by actions, that you believe what God has said or promised (James 2:14, 17-24, Titus 1:16).
1. Who was Jacob's first son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
2. Who was Jacob's second son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
3. Who was Jacob's third son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
4. What is the spiritual association linked with the names of Jacob's first three sons with
5. What was the duty/role of the Levites/priests of God?
6. Spiritually, how are the believers in Messiah associated to the Levites?
7. Give two ways in which believers 'draw near' to God?
8. Who was Jacob's fourth son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
9. What tribe did Yeshua/Jesus descend from?
10. Who was Jacob's fifth son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
11. What is the prophetic spiritual association with Jacob's fifth son and the history of the Jewish people since the days of Yeshua/Jesus?
12. Who was Jacob's sixth son with Leah? What does his name mean in Hebrew?
13. How is the sixth son of Jacob with Leah prophetic of what will happen after 6,000 years of time from the creation of Adam?
14. Who is Jacob's daughter born after the sixth son? What does her name mean in Hebrew?
15. How is the name of Jacob's daughter born after the sixth son a spiritual picture of the believers in Yeshua/Jesus during the Messianic Age?
16. How are all the people "saved" by God from Adam through the Messianic Age?
17. What is the meaning of "faith" in Hebrew?
18. Are we "saved" by putting our trust/faith in the works of the law?
19. After we are "saved," does faith require works to demonstrate our faith?