"Sound the Shofar in Zion and sound the alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the Land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh, it is nigh at hand" (Joel 2:1)
These spiritual truths can be understood by:
===> Yeshua/Jesus is the WAY of God (John 14:6)
===> The believers are called by God to know His WAYS and to WALK in His WAYS. Religion emphasizes the ACTS of God but God in the Bible emphasizes knowing and walking in His WAYS.
===> The children of Israel (a type of carnal believer and a type of religion) knew the ACTS of God but Moses (a type of mature believer who knows God) knew His WAYS (Psalm 103:7, Psalm 95:7-11, Hebrews 3:7-11, 4:3,4,12).
---> Psalm 95:10-11, Hebrews 3:10,11 ... If you do not know the ways of God (His Word) you will not enter into the rest of God.
Psalm 103:7, 95:10 ... known = Strong's word #3045 = Hebrew word "Yadah"
#3045 = Yadah = "To know, to become acquainted with (intimately)" (Genesis 4:1, Genesis 19:8, Judges 11:39)
Psalm 103:7, 95:10 ... way(s) = Strong's word #1870 = Hebrew word "Derek"
#1870 = Derek = "A course of life or mode of action, a road trodden, to walk, to string a bow by bending"
A. Psalm 76:1, "In Judah is God known (#3045) ..."
Judah = Strong's word #3063 = Yehudah. From Strong's word #3034 = Yadah. #3034 = Yadah = "To revere or worship with an extended hand or to hold out the hand, to confess, to praise, to give thanks"
B. Psalm 25:4 -- God shows and teaches His ways (#1870)
C. Psalm 81:10-16, Jeremiah 7:23-24, 16:10-13 -- To not walk in the ways of God is to walk after your own counsel (understanding)
You will walk backward not forward, follow your own lusts and imaginations of your own evil heart, follow other gods
D. Psalm 119:15-16, Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:1-2 -- To walk in the ways of God requires meditating on His Word
E. Psalm 84:5 --- The way of God is in our hearts (Psalm 57:7, 108:1-3, 112:1-2, 7-8)
F. Psalm 91:11 -- If you walk in the ways of God, God's angels will be protecting you
G. Psalm 128:1, 112:1-10 --- God blesses us when we walk in His ways
H. Psalm 50:23 -- If we praise God while walking in His ways, He will show us His salvation
Psalm 50:23 - "Who offers praise (#8426) orders his conversation (#1870)"
Praise = Strong's word #8426 = "adoration, a choir of worshipers, to confess, give thanks or praise"
I. Psalm 138:5 -- Walking in the ways of God results in singing
Sing = Strong's word #7891 = sheer. In the scriptures, singing brings the connotation of victory, joy, celebration and abundant praise to God.
1. Exodus 15:1-2, 18-21 -- "Then sang (#7891) ... for he has triumphed ... Miriam took a timbrel (#8596) and all the women with timbrel and dances (#4246)"
Exodus 15:20 --> Dances = Strong's word #4246 = Meholah (feminine)
Dances = #4246 from #4234 = Mahowl = from #2342 = hool
#2342 = "To twist or twirl in a circular manner" (Exodus 15:20, Judges 11:34, 21:21,
I Samuel 21:11, Psalm 149:3)
II Samuel 6:14 -- "David danced (#3769) before the Lord ..."
Danced = Strong's word #3769 = Karar = "to whirl"
2. Singing is associated with God's goodness and blessings (Psalm 13:6, 27:5-6, 96:2)
===> Eschatologically speaking, "SING UNTO THE LORD A NEW SONG" refers to he days of the Messiah (Yemot Mashiach --- Years 4000-7000). More specifically, it refers to the Messianic age (1000 year millennium -- years 6000-7000) when the Messiah will rule and reign on earth.
*************************************************** * * * Messianic age = Millennium = The Sabbath = * * The day of the Lord = Rest = Joy = Peace = * * A time of rejoicing, singing, and dancing = * * Marriage = Sanctification = Holiness * * * ***************************************************
===> Psalm 33:3, 96:1, 98:1, 144:9, 149:1,3, Isaiah 42:10-16
Isaiah 42:10-16 = A time when the Jewish people will flee into the wilderness in Jordan at a place called Petra (Petra = Rock) where God would protect them during the tribulation (Isaiah 42:10-16 = Isaiah 16:1-5).
===> Singing and dancing was done with the timbrel and harp (Psalm 33:2-4, 92:1-4, 98:4-5, Psalm 147:7, 149:1,3 [Dance = #4234], 150:3-4).
===> Singing and dancing was associated with marriage. Marriage was seen as a time of joy (Jeremiah 31:3-4, 33:7-11).
===> The message given by the absence of singing and dancing was judgment
(Jeremiah 7:23-24,34, Jeremiah 16:9-13, 25:8-10, Psalm 137:1-4).
1. WHO is THE WAY of God?
2. What is the significance in God making a distinction that the children of Israel knew the ACTS of God but Moses knew His WAYS?
3. What is the best way to describe the Hebrew word for "way" which is the Strong's word #1870?
4. What does the word "Know", Strong's word #3045, which is the Hebrew word 'Yadah,' mean? Give some scriptural examples.
5. In Psalm 76:1, how is God known? What is the spiritual meaning of this?
6. In Psalm 81:10-16, Jeremiah 7:23-24, 16:10-13, what is the result of walking in our own understanding?
7. In Psalm 119:15-16, Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:1-2, walking in the ways of God requires what?
8. Specify the benefits of walking in the ways of God in the following passages:
a) Psalm 91:11
b) Psalm 128:1, 112:1-10
c) Psalm 50:23
9. In Psalm 138:5, walking in the ways of God results in singing. What is the spiritual meaning of this?
10. In Exodus 15:20, the word 'Dances' is the Strong's word #4246, which is the Hebrew word, "Meholah." In II Samuel 6:14, another word for 'Dance' is found. It is the Strong's word #3769 and is the Hebrew word "Karar." The Hebrew word, "hool," Strong's word #2342 is related to the Hebrew word "Meholah" (Strong's word #3769). Based upon the meaning of the Hebrew words for dance, "Karar" and "Hool," what does it mean to Biblically dance?
11. What is the eschatological meaning of "Sing unto the Lord a new song"?
12. Name two of the Biblical instruments used in singing and dancing?
13. In Jeremiah 31:3-4, 33:7-11, singing and dancing is associated with what?
14. What was the spiritual meaning of the absence of singing and dancing?
(Jeremiah 7:23-24,34, 16:9-13, 25:8-10, Psalm 137:1-4)